Winner of the British Psychological Society Book Award 2007
Here are some quotes from the publishers about various editions of the book:
“In this brilliant new edition Andy Field has introduced important new introductory material on statistics that the student will need and was missing at least in the first edition. This book is the best blend that I know of a textbook in statistics and a manual on SPSS. It is a balanced composite of both topics, using SPSS to illustrate important statistical material and, through graphics, to make visible important approaches to data analysis. There are many places in the book where I had to laugh, and that’s saying a lot for a book on statistics. His excellent style engages the reader and makes reading about statistics fun'” – David C Howell, Professor Emeritus, University of Vermont
“The new edition of Field’s textbook confirms its place as the best statistics text for undergraduate social science students. It provides support for those less confident about statistical analysis whilst having sufficient depth that it will still be valuable to more mathematically experienced people. There is a focus throughout on the practical aspects of data analysis and interpretation whilst at the same time emphasizing the importance of rigour and a good understating of theory essential reading” Dr Ian Walker, Department of Psychology, University of Bath
This is what the publishers, SAGE, have to say on their web site (I don’t write this guff …):
With an exciting new look, new characters to meet, and its unique combination of humour and step-by-step instruction, this award-winning book is the statistics lifesaver for everyone. From initial theory through to regression, factor analysis and multilevel modelling, Andy Field animates statistics and SPSS software with his famously bizarre examples and activities.
New to the 5th Edition
Read my blog about what I updated in the fifth edition.
From SAGE’s website:
- A radical new design with original illustrations and even more colour
- A maths diagnostic tool to help students establish what areas they need to revise and improve on.
- A revamped digital resource that uses video, case studies, datasets and more to help students negotiate project work, master data management techniques, and apply key writing and employability skills
- New sections on replication, open science and Bayesian thinking
- Now fully up to date with latest versions of IBM SPSS Statistics©.
- Companions website
- Self test answers
- Smart Alex answers
- Labcoat leni answers
- Oliver twisted
- Oditi’s lantern (interactive tutorials and videos)
- Free chapters:
- Because I’m a numbskull, look at list of all the stupid mistakes I made
- See pictures of cats reading my book (ok, this one is quite exciting) here
- And dogs